Search for Topics on PinkGingerSnaps

Friday, December 26, 2014

Bokkeumbap or Kimchi Fried Rice Made With Homemade Kimchi

Finally! Christmas is over (at least for this year)! Whew!

Although I love Christmas, I can't help but feel a bit 'unhealthy' after gorging myself enjoying a lot some of the sinful Christmas dishes this time of the year. 

It's not just the decadent goodies and the compulsory mingling with lesser mortals other people which leaves one with a feeling of a bit of heaviness. It is the combination of the stress, hectic holiday shopping, and trying to think of a way to fit back into 'normal' clothes post holidays. 

I swear, there should be a term called PHD - post holiday depression - as we mourn the months spent trying to stay fit only to get derailed by a few weeks of merry making :P

kimchi fried rice pinkgingersnaps
Anywhoo, if you're getting tired of eating sinful leftovers and want something like a simple dish that's good for digestion as well, why not try some kimchi fried rice? 

It does sound weird if you're not Korean but believe me, it's more than delish and it's good for you too! How bad can that be, right?

I used my homemade kimchi in this recipe (I might share how I made it at a later post) and it turned out better than I imagined it would taste. 

Who knew what koreanovela characters ate when they're depressed can taste so good? Must be why they eat it when their Korean drama lives reaches a crisis stage huh?

On a related note, that's kind of how I mustered the courage to give this recipe a go, while pondering my lost waistline and what will become of my later kitchen adventures ahaha!

Here's my Kimchi Fried Rice Tutorial and Recipe


Printable or copy-friendly recipe for bokkeumbap or kimchi fried rice is at the end of this post.

bokkeumbap recipe

First off, you'll need really good kimchi - best if it's a bit 'ripened' or over fermented.

This kimchi is good (I made it, yay!) and it's the last of the more than 3 kilos of kimchi I made in November so it's been in my refrigerator for a while. 

As the last bits of my first batch of real kimchi, I thought it deserves the honor to be made into bokkeumbap :P

I squeezed out the kimchi juice or kimchi liquid coz who wants a soggy fried rice, right? 

You'll want to save it for later though. Keep reading to find out why :)

kimchi fried rice tutorial

I took the chopped drained kimchi and sauteed it in a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and a touch of cooking oil.

kimchi fried rice recipe

Then, because I'm a total glutton hungry, I added about two cups of leftover rice and gave everything a thorough mixing and stirring. Just do what you do when you make fried rice. 

bokkeumbap tutorial

About halfway through, I added about 2 tablespoons of the kimchi juice and some freshly ground pepper. 

If your rice is a bit wet/soggy, you can omit the kimchi juice and add salt instead to flavor the rice.

Continue whatever you do when you make fried rice until you're about sure everything is ready.

I like my fried rice with a bit of crispiness, so what I do is I spread it thinly over the pan and let the bottom crisp up. Yum!

kimchi fried rice recipe

add a touch of sesame oil and chopped green onions in the last 20-30 seconds.

bokkeumbap recipe

and don't forget to add a sunny-side up egg before you dig in!

btw, here's more food p0rn haha!

easy bokkeumbap recipe

and one more

traditional bokkeumbap recipe

I totally inhaled this thing in like a minute. 

The dog didn't even had a chance to beg.

and I'm not even ashamed of it :P

Here's the easy to follow recipe:


Bokkeumbap Tutorial by PinkGingerSnaps



Ingredients for Kimchi Fried Rice:

  • 2 cups sour or over fermented kimchi, drained of liquid and chopped up (reserve the liquid)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons green onions
  • fried egg for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • a touch of cooking oil (to prevent the butter from burning up)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups cooked cooked rice (use leftover rice for best results)

Procedure for making the Bokkeumbap or Kimchi Fried Rice:


Prepare the kimchi by squeezing out the liquid and chopping it into small pieces. Melt the butter in the pan and add a bit of oil to prevent the butter from burning. Add the kimchi and saute for a few minutes until the kimchi is almost dried out. Add the rice and mix until everything is well incorporated. When you are about halfway done, season the bokkeumbap with the liquid from the kimchi or soy sauce. Don't forget to add salt and pepper to taste. Continue frying the rice until nearly done and add the sesame oil and green onions on the last few seconds of cooking. Serve with fried egg or add pork too! Enjoy!

Want to see how I made kimchi at home? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Visit us on Google+