Search for Topics on PinkGingerSnaps

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Chicken Stir-Fry For One

I love chicken. I love it simply steamed, boiled, poached, fried, baked, and even when it doesn't look like chicken anymore. Yep! I can eat chicken everyday and not get tired of it for like mooonnnths!

Anyone here feeling me? :P

I'm sure a lot of you reading this have your own favorite meat or veggie and that's awesome (and makes each of us uniquely weird). However, eating the same chicken dish for a few days a week is not something I would like to go back to no matter how much I love it. I don't believe in just one true love when it comes to food haha!


chicken stir-fry for one recipe
You see, when I started living by myself a few years ago, I was stuck with eating the same thing for almost the entire week because I only knew how to make stuff for like a family of 5. 

I must admit, cooking for one is a whole new level of difficulty compared to let's say, cooking for 3-6 persons. I'll gladly welcome cooking for an entire family as compared to cooking for just 1. No kidding!

Needless to say, this resulted to me either ordering out (hello calories!), or  stuffing myself trying to eat everything as soon and as much as I can just so I can cook something else (I know this is self-defeating). I gained lots of weight and was unhappy :(

So what I did was develop recipes or adapt recipes to be good for one and yup, I did quite well with dozens of them. 

No more leftovers unless I wanted it for this gal!

This chicken stir-fry is one of my favorite dinners because it is so versatile. You can eat it on it's own or with rice. Mix up a little sauce and it's good for noodles too! 

What I like the best about this chicken stir-fry for one is how fast it comes together and how flavorful and filling it is. In fact, when I want to lose weight, this is one of my go-to dinners. 

Why? 

Because this chicken stir-fry is low carb and high protein! 

Yep! Does that sound too good to be true?

It's got lots of fiber and vitamins too!

Before I start sounding more and more like a real info-mercial, let's head on to the main recipe shall we?

Chicken Stir Fry For One Recipe


fresh chicken recipe

As the usual thing with stir-frys, this chicken stir-fry recipe only spends about 5 minutes tops cooking, so you'll have to chop up everything that needs to be chopped and prepared before you start heating your wok.


I can't stress how important using a wok is for this recipe. There's just something magical when you cook with woks. The way it is shaped and how it handles and distributes heat makes food cook a certain way, it's simply superb.

You can use a frying pan but it won't be as awesome..

You can try a cast iron skillet and maybe come up with 90% wok awesomeness :P

Heat the wok over high heat until it starts smoking. Add the oil and swirl to coat the whole pan.

clean eating chicken recipe

add the chicken and let it cook for about a minute on each side. This happened very fast so I wasn't able to get pics :(

Once the chicken is no longer pink and slightly browned, add the ginger, the green onion, and baby corn. 

Keep sauteing for about 1 minute.

chinese chicken stir fry tutorial

Have you watched one of those cooking shows where the chef creates a little mushroom poof of smoke when a liquid is added to the stir fry? 

That's gonna happen when you add in the soy sauce so be prepared!

tasty chicken dinner

this is it!

(only captured the last of the smoke and steam show)

and for the last step:

high fiber chicken meal

turn off the heat and toss in the red bell pepper and sugar snap peas for the last 20-30 seconds. 

Transfer immediately to a plate.

high protein chicken recipe

isn't it absolutely gorgeous?

I love sprinkling this chicken stir-fry with korean red chili flakes and some sesame seeds.

low carb chicken recipe

from another angle...

chinese chicken stir fry

Of course I'm using chopsticks! 

If I don't do that I'll either inhale this thing or start shoveling this dish into my mouth haha!

easy stir-fry recipe for one

Incredibly tasty and very satisfying! You might forget about the rice when savoring this chicken stir-fry dish.

And here's the full recipe:

Chicken Stir-Fry For One By PinkGingerSnaps


chicken stir-fry recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 chicken breast fillet (about 1/2 lb or 250 grams) sliced thinly
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas (chicharo)
  • 1 cup baby corn sliced diagonally
  • 1 medium size red bell pepper cut into strips
  • 1 tablespoon light cooking oil
  • 3-5 stalks green onions cut into 1-2 inch sections
  • 1 slice ginger
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • chili flakes and sesame seeds for garnish

Procedure:


Slice up everything which needs to be sliced and heat your wok over high heat. Once the wok starts smoking, add the oil and sliced chicken breast fillet. Toss the chicken around in the wok and cook for about two minutes until slightly browned and no longer pink. Add in the baby corn, ginger, and green onion. Don't forget to keep everything moving! after a minute of sauteing everything together and the ginger gets really fragrant, add the soy sauce and keep tossing for about 30 more seconds. Turn off the heat and add the sugar snap peas and red bell pepper. Cook in the still hot wok for about half a minute and transfer immediately to a serving dish so the veggies don't get wilted. Garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes if desired. Serves 1 :)

Let me know if you tried this dish! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Visit us on Google+